Dr Anna Gebruk, PhD in environmental science
Scientific Project Manager, School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh
- Grant Institute, Room 352
UK Polar Network Vice-President 2021/2022
I am a marine ecologist specialising in biodiversity conservation, benthic ecology, and environmental monitoring. I believe that informed science-based decision making is essential for achieving sustainable development goals.
Recently earned a PhD in the University of Edinburgh, I have 9 years of academia training combined with 5 years of industry experience (ecological monitoring, project management, consultancy) and I am very excited to begin the new part of my journey as a Scientific Project Manager in the Changing Oceans group, School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh, working on a range of projects from biodiversity conservation documentation to research expeditions.
Key interests: biodiversity conservation, ocean observing systems, biofouling, invasive species, marine pollution, international scientific collaboration
My PhD Thesis “Assessing the status, variability, and biodiversity conservation issues of Arctic benthic ecosystems of the Pechora Sea for improved management” focused on collecting and analysing biodiversity data to identify key stressors of benthic biodiversity and develop recommendations to improve ecological monitoring in the area of heightened ecological significance in the Russian Arctic.
- PhD in Environmental and Atmospheric Science, University of Edinburgh, School of GeoSciences (2018 – 2022)
- MSc in Marine Systems and Policies, University of Edinburgh, School of GeoSciences (2016 – 2017)
- BSc in Biology (Invertebrate Zoology), Lomonosov Moscow State University (2012 – 2016, 2:1 Hons)
University of Arctic Researcher, Edinburgh Global
| January 2022 – March 2022
During the internship with Edinburgh Global I worked on developing Scotland’s framework for engagement with the new north2north mobility program of the University of Arctic, liaising with various stakeholders, including academic institutions and Scottish Government.
UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2020-2021)
- Arctic Task Force member, representative of early career researchers
UK Polar Network
- President (2020-2021)
- Vice-President (2021-2022)
World Association of Marine Stations
- Programme and organising committee member, WCMS 2021
- Steering committee member